Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A4.6.13 meta: o překladu

My friend corrected these sentences, and it was interesting.

běžný místní účet is an ordinary checking account, banking lingo.

uživatel is a word which can change drastically depending on the context.

praxe means "the way things are done", like one meaning of "practice." My teaching test was called the Praxis. That is how I will remember it.

Czech is entirely at the mercy of context when it comes to articles and meaning.

We had a long discussion about how to correctly translate this:

Žádná otázka ohledně viny a trestu není nechutná.

Is it:
No question regarding fault and punishment is appealing?

Or:
No question regarding fault and punishment is unappealing?

I am still feeling unresolved about this issue, but it did spur me to start composing a poem with some rather silly triple negatives. It just does not work well in English. It is really confusing.

x i y : both x and y
i x... : even x..

sbor is a police corps almost all of the time.

I really enjoyed getting back into the swing of things. Here's to good health, Czech, and finishing the summer strong before I completely remake this system into something better :-) Which is almost my favorite part of this project, honestly. #dorkiestdork

No comments:

Post a Comment