Thursday, April 18, 2019

Meta : new plans

Question: What can I do to make sure that I am still studying Czech now?

Answer: make it more fun.

Fun totally "sparks joy" for me. I recently wrote in depth about this idea elsewhere.

1. I am really limited in my time right now.

2. It's been about a month since I've been able to really sit down and intensely study Czech. Perhaps even longer. It makes me sad. When I try to restart, it just doesn't work. Granted, there were a lot of extraneous circumstances, but those are likely to continue to pop up, especially as children get out of school and I need to pay more attention to them.

3. I have to prioritize a different, important project: co-writing my book. We are just finishing editing chapter 7 (of 21?) of a book about Czech land records. It's important to me that the major edits for this project be finished before I start school in January. I don't know if that's possible. It's only possible with a lot of work. The work is a little bit grueling. I don't think I can emotionally handle pouring my soul into two majorly difficult projects.

4. I also cannot do nothing for my learning Czech. That is a bad solution, it leaves me feeling unsatisfied, it doesn't help me with my ultimate goals, etc.

5. I have to do something, but my current study plan is not going to work because it's too time-intensive, too much work, and some aspects of it are, well, not very fun. They either need to be optimized or they are too rote-y. That's a lot of work. The work if worth it, but it can also wait.

6. I can go back to that study plan later.

7. Movies are always fun and somewhat passive. I have a lot of time for movie watching because I nurse a baby 2+ hours daily.

8. I have a long backlog of Czech movies to watch.

9. If my plan is to simply watch Czech movies and talk or text with my willing collaborators about them in Czech, and maybe sometimes write a tiny bit of what we say about it here, then that seems like a lot less work.

10. I already had the idea to do this in the past. But I did not implement it because it didn't feel right. I felt a kind of hesitation, like a little voice saying, "Shh, just wait a bit." I don't feel that same feeling now, so perhaps it is time to move forward.

I will have to try to figure out how to make this work. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment