Friday, February 15, 2019

A4.5.9 meta: o pokroku

I am not quite done with the "play with words" phase of things, but I really wanted to go ahead and write down my meta thoughts because it feels like it's been a while. Maybe it really hasn't. I am not sure.

I spend a lot of time thinking about and trying to learn Czech - but it fluctuates a lot depending on my emotional state and mood. There's basically one week every month that is just dominated by terrible thoughts and horrific headaches, at least it's been that way for the past five months or so. It's totally out of my control. Focusing on Czech is like an escape. It is really...it is something very important to me. It worries me a little bit that my overenthusiasm for this will somehow cause social problems. I don't usually worry about that, except during this time of the month. I dunno. It's annoying. I wish that it weren't this way.

It is frustrating to have to wait for feedback from other people to continue moving on in my goals. That is why I developed this plan - so that I can move forward without having to wait. I really like my plan. A lot. Here is a little screen shot of what I'm doing.



My friend Lukáš was the one who showed me that google sheets has this really cool option for checkboxes now in its data validation settings. He was the one who also pointed out how satisfying it is to check things off. Therefore, I decided to try it this way. It does save a little bit of time, too, so that is good.

The things in bold are artifacts that end up on my blog. I try to include as much as possible here because, well, it's really satisfying to post here. Also it's a good record of my learning. But you can see that there are a LOT of steps, most notably the quizlet steps (I guess I would call that "vocabulary memorization") that do not end up on my blog.

The other thing that is misleading is the first step. It is VERY important, and very long. I have an entire separate spreadsheet to record what I have been doing to gain "exposure" to the language. It happens to also be the most fun task - the one where I have the most choices. The one where I get to be social. I love it.

I really like learning Czech, even though at times it feels like there are specific issues with this language that make it more difficult to learn than almost any other. I am really, really lucky that Sketch Engine is a Czech company. I think it's...well, very, very lucky for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment