Thursday, January 31, 2019

Reasons for pursuing an advanced degree in the field of CL (version 1.0)

I want to pursue an advanced degree at a brick and mortar school in the field of Corpus Linguistics.

Because it will probably be useful for me to be able to look back and review the reasons why I decided to pursue this dream, here is a list of my current thinking. I suppose the reasons will change over time, or I might lose sight of some of the early dreams.


  • CL can help me analyze and answer questions I have always had. 
  • It’s interesting. Interesting = fun!
  • I want to gain knowledge that will enable me to make a meaningful contribution to the world. I want to do this in several ways: research, publishing my research, other writing projects (for example, creating a Czech as a Second Language for English Speakers textbook, creating some kind of historical Czech corpus to study the world in which my ancestors lived and then create an informed dictionary for genealogists and researchers to use…etc. Yeah, my brain is about exploding with the possibilities), and perhaps some sort of teaching. I am good at teaching. It is deeply rewarding and interesting, the teaching parts that is. Everything else (politics) is miserable.
  • I want to associate with intelligent people with whom I can have deep, meaningful conversations.
  • I want to make connections with people in this field so that I can be more successful at contributing to the world.
  • I want to make connections with people because I like people and I feel happy when I am around people who value my weird way of thinking.
  • My brain and intelligence are valuable to me and I am not satisfied with the prospect of a future without a chance to significantly increase my learning.
  • I want to appease my hubristic pride.
  • I want my family to see and know how important learning is to me.
  • I want to be able to have better, deeper conversations.
  • This field will help me to gain a deeper understanding of the scriptures.
  • This field is a synthesis of my most important, deeply held interests.
  • I think it will be fulfilling, interesting, rewarding, and deeply satisfying to me personally.
  • I think it will be interesting to Danny and my kids because of the conversations it will bring. It will be fulfilling and rewarding for them to have a way to serve me; I know that me completing this degree will be a sacrifice for them. I hope that it will be satisfying for them to see me actively strive to reach my potential. Perhaps it will inspire them to do so, too.




1 comment:

  1. Addendum:
    - I want detailed feedback on my writing.
    - I want to give detailed feedback on others' writing that will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete